I pulled out my old journal (can't really say diary because I'm not 11) and I flipped through to look at my last resolutions from the end of 2008 to 2009.
an excerpt, if you will:
" I broke up with [douche bag boyfriend] last Monday. Meh. best thing I could I have ever done. I am especially justified and relinquishing any guilty feelings because of how he behaved at the Tire Bowl. Fucking dick head. Now he's another name on the "never-going-to-speak-to-ever-again" list. cest la vie.
So now I've figured out my focus for 2009. a) I am not dating anyone. I'm not doing anything with any body. I don't even want to 'talk' to anyone. I really don't have anything to gain from any of the boys I know, and I have no desire to meet any other loser who lives in a 30 mile radius. so. I'll be single, which I love so that's that. b) I just need to buckle down and figure out my Grad School apps. Like, I need to finish them. I already decided not to apply to NYU or Columbia, I freaking don't want to go to New York and, lets be honest, I don't wanna waste the money applying to an Ivy. ECU is where I really wanna go, so I need to stop bullshitting and do it. Also, I need to get my fitness together. I'm too young to get all sloppy. So. you know, that's 3. 1) no more boys (for no more drama) 2) work towards my life plan so I won't end up a loser 3) don't be fat."
This is hilarious to me. Reading back over this stuff is a trip because of how different things are now. Reviewing the resolves of 2009, I feel like I hit all those goals. I stayed out of relationships that caused me irritation and stress (save for a couple of unavoidable hiccups....). I DID finish my graduate applications, and ended up exactly where I thought I didn't want to be. The irony is that this is the absolute best place in the world for me. ever. As for the fitness. well, I'm about 20 lbs lighter than I was a year ago, so that's cool.... but I'd definitely will keep fitness on my list of 2010 resolutions, which I'll post as well.

2 comments:
Wow. I absolutely love this. It's definitely funny where life takes you. Yay for new things in 2010!
"work on my life plan so I won't end up a loser."
that's why you're my girl. And I know NYC is exactly where you need to be -- its abs perfect for you and this time in your life!!
and I can't wait to visit again haha
Post a Comment