Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Learning the Map with the help of pop culture.


I literally had to study the map of the Upper West Side for a couple of weeks before I could effectively apartment hunt. Now that the housing is handled and we're all moved in, I really want to learn the areas I have heard so much about. I remember Samantha Jones moving to the Meat Packing District on Sex and the City, or about the tents at fashion week in Bryant park, as seen on Project Runway and in The Devil Wears Prada. I know the Upper East Side from Gossip Girl, Gramercy is where Whitney from The City lives. I could go on and on. So where do I fit? Up at the top of the map, boarding Harlem(in blue) and overlapping with the Upper West Side is Morningside Heights (in red.) It pretty much consists of Columbia, Barnard, Teacher's College and a slew of hospitals ( like St. Lukes) and churches (like St. Johns). What I've learned (and you have too, after reading this obscure geography lesson) is: I live uptown. I live right by the school of social work, and I am seriously a student. Seriously.

1 comments:

Regina said...

This is crazy! But awesome.
It seems like you are so far away from SoHo, but I found out the name of that store that I really liked - its http://www.uniqlo.com/us/stores/ny_soho_store.html. Great stuff!
I have a feeling you will make the trek to shop in SoHo a few times :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails